Many home electrical problems show warning signs before becoming serious.
Knowing there is an electrical problem can help you make repairs to prevent a potential electrocution or property damage. You may be able to troubleshoot some of these electrical issues yourself, but many problems need professional diagnosis and repair.
Circuit breaker problems:
Your circuit breakers is designed to trip when a circuit is overloaded. By shutting off the electrical supply, the breaker prevents wires from overheating and potentially starting a fire.
Your breakers could also trip when it become old. Occasional tripping can indicate simple overloads. Try plugging the appliance into a different circuit. If a breaker trips frequently, you should consult a professional.
If you feel a mild shock or tingle when touching an appliance, a ground fault in the appliance or improper electrical wiring may be the cause.
If you notice a shock after crossing a carpeted surface, it may be from static, which is common in the winter and not cause for concern.
You should, however, take other types of electrical shock seriously as you don’t want to risk the situation becoming worse.
Hot ceiling fixtures:
You should occasionally check the area around your ceiling light fixtures for warmth because not all fixtures are well insulated. In addition, if you exceed the maximum recommended wattage for the bulb, the fixture can overheat. Too much heat buildup could pose a fire hazard.
Switching to compact fluorescent light (CFL) or light-emitting diode (LED) bulbs provides one solution, because these bulbs don’t produce as much heat as incandescent bulbs.
Flickering lights may be a sign of a defective or loose light bulb. If replacing the bulb doesn’t solve the problem, consult a licensed electrician. The fault may be in the light fixture.
Also, either the connections to the fixture or your home electrical wiring in the circuit breaker box may be loose. This type of electrical problem requires professional diagnosis to ensure a complete repair.
Light switches or electrical outlets are not working:
Light switches or receptacles that work only intermittently give away another home electrical problem. The wiring may be loose or the device may be cracked internally. If a plug is loose in a receptacle, it can pose a problem as well. If the plug partially falls out, an unsuspecting individual could accidentally receive a shock when unplugging the cord.
Burning odor or sparks:
If you notice a burning odor coming from any outlets or switches, turn the power off at the electrical panel. Contact a qualified electrician for appropriate repairs. The problem may be a faulty device, but it could also be a wiring or overload problem.
A burning smell is a serious issue because it could indicate the start of an electrical fire. Receptacles or connected electrical cords that are warm to the touch are also a sign of an electrical problem. Do not use the receptacle until the situation has been repaired.
If you suspect this is the case, hire a professional electrician to inspect your wiring to determine whether any loose connections exist, and replace any defective devices.
N.H.Electrical try to make the advice on our website www.nhelectrics.co.uk as useful and reliable as possible. However the purpose of this advice is provided as useful tips only and should not be taken as professional advice and should not be relied upon as such.
If you are in any doubts as to following any advice we recommend you speak to a qualified N.H.Electrical electrician who will under take the work for you. You can contact us locally 01252 917 636.